I am a busy girl. My life revolves around being on the go the whole time. I am either working or traveling and there is no time to waste. The decisions I have taken around my life are the type that makes everything easy and doesn’t take too much spare time. I have tried to establish a system, so that it is easy for me to dress up in the morning. I love basics and classics and so everything goes with everything else. I have a signature look and when I really have to do everything in 5 minutes in the morning (for example hair and make up) I just go for those signature looks, that I have perfected – the no make up make up look with some pop color lipstick and the messy bun are my target decision.
So as I make things easy for myself style-wise, I try to do the same thing about my breakfast. Since it is the most important meal of the day I never skip it. I love eating healthy, yet delicious meals in the morning. I can never just have cereal or something boring. But the more delicious things, that I love usually take too much time. Which, as I already mentioned, I do not have. So through time I just figured out simple recipes, that I can do every morning in under 5 minutes. Yes! So fast! And they are not some sandwich or whatever. They are creative, fun, delicious and fast. And that is what I love about them. And then I thought, why keep it to myself, when many women have the same problem – no time to waste! Here are my breakfast solutions for the busy girl.
Apricot & Berry Mug Pancake
If I have to be honest any recipe that is in a mug is a fast morning one. It is just easier that way and you can always use the microwave. I know that many people are against them. And I used to be too. But since I found those breakfasts I changed my mind. Though I don’t cook anything else in the microwave.
Here is what you need:
- ¼ cup pancake mix
- ¼ cup water
- 2 apricots (you can peel them and slice them in 2 the night before, so that you don’t waste time in the morning)
- 4-6 berries (I prefer to use the fresh ones and I love blueberries, but you can use whatever you love)
- ¼ cup pecan halves
- maple syrup (if you don’t like it switch it with one you like)
The ingredients are something you can easily get in the supermarket and, other than cutting the apricots in two, you don’t need any other special preparation, which is something I love. During the winter, then there are no fresh berries or apricots I get a frozen pack of mix of berries and then I get an apricot can. In the can the apricots are sliced, so I just put 10 slices or so in the mixture. Of course, as you can imagine, everything is way more delicious with fresh fruits, but since you can’t always find them, you have to switch them.
- Grab a large mug. Put the ¼ cup pancake mix in it.
- Add up water in the mug. When you reach the middle of the cup stop with the water. Whisk the mixture good together until everything is as smooth as possible.
- Put half of the amount of fruits and pecans you have into the mug.
- Put the mug with its ingredients into the microwave for 2 full minutes.
- After the two minutes are over add the remaining fruits and pecans.
- Put back into the microwave for 60 seconds or so.
- Take out, add maple syrup and enjoy!
It really does take 3 minutes in the microwave and 2 more to mix everything. Also during those three minutes you can make your coffee and then enjoy it with your breakfast. How cool!
Migas sounds Spanish and it kind of is. At least in my head. I like things that sound foreign and somehow exotic. Despite being something simple I feel special when munching on it in the morning.
Here is what you need:
- 2 eggs
- 1 oz tortilla chips (you love it already, right?)
- ¼ cup of salsa (my favorite is the green tomatillo, but you can literally use any!)
- 1 tbsp greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp Mexican shredded cheese blend
- ½ avocado (chop that the previous night, so that you will be faster in the morning)
The fact that some food has avocado in it already makes it more than amazing. I think that the avocado has probably been my most favorite thing to eat ever. I try to add it as often as possible to salads and sandwiches.
- Start by grabbing a bowl. Whisk the eggs in it. And beat them good. Then add the salsa and the yogurt.
- Grab the tortilla chips. Crush it into smaller pieces and add it to the mixture.
- Put in the cheese too.
- Transfer the whole thing to a large mug (BTW, I now just have a mug that I call the breakfast mug and I always use it for those recipes).
- Put the mug into the microwave. Bake the thing for two or three minutes. You know it is ready when the eggs are kind of set.
- Take out the microwave. Add the avocado and a spoon of salsa and you are ready. Enjoy!
Those two favorite of mine recipes combine everything on the sweet side, I can crave and than the same thing with the salty stuff. So it is all enjoyable and good.